How do you like them apples?

16:53



Welcome back, we’ve had a revamp. 

  After what has been a truly devastating year for myself, I decided it was time to get back down to basics.  The panic of being stuck in a rut set in, not being able to get on with life had me up at night, what was I going to do?  


 I will do another post explaining a little more on why this all happened but firstly, I want you all to learn one extremely important word that I will repeat time again:

Self – Care.



Self-Care goes a long way, it can be whatever makes you happy, be it a bubble bath, a cup of tea, a night out with friends, a night in with bed. 

 For me, self care meant putting University on hold for a year, (yes, I’m still there), writing CV’s for work experience in abundance. My family and friends  have been my rock and my date nights with Netflix have been my safety blanket. 

 Another thing I did? I went apple picking with pops.




 There truly isn’t anything better than a little self -healing and embracing the outdoors and what nature can provide for you. I know I sound a little, hippy, or like a preacher but taking time away from your computer screens and TV  to take  a minute to look at what’s around you, might just be the little break you need.

 I’m lucky enough to live in the middle of a field, we get inundated with plums, cherries, blackberries and blackcurrants in the summer,  Elderflowers and Elderberries – which our neighbors make glorious Elderflower cordial and champagne from – and  Apples and pears in the autumn.  It’s all very darling buds of may - if you’re old enough to remember that.

 We get such a harvest we’re giving them away from our ears, we freeze them, puree them, turn them into jam and cobblers, my favourite though, is the Dutch Apple Pie I recently made and I’m going to show you how.

*Recipe is doctored from 'My little Expat Kitchen'

For the Filling: 

 1kg Apples
 30g Raisins
 2 tsp  of Cinnamon 
 Dash of nutmeg
 50g Golden caster sugar
 Juice of 1 (medium) lemon

For the Dough: 

175 g unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing the pan
175 g all-purpose flour
175 g self-raising flour
140 g  caster sugar
35g golden caster sugar
1 large egg
½ tsp lemon zest, freshly grated
1 Tbsp water
Pinch of salt
1 Tbsp dried breadcrumbs

For the Glaze:
3 teaspoons of apricot jam
30 ml (2 Tbsp) white rum (or water) I used rum. 

 Soak raisins in water for 15/25 minutes.  Core/dice/slice the apples, place into a bowl of the lemon juice. (turn frequently so apples don’t brown) Throw in raisins, cinnamon and caster sugar, shake it all about so all apples are covered in the glorious sugar and spice.  Set aside.


Grease springform tin, now you’re onto the dough.  Soften the butter, either in a food processor, or if you’re like me, needing to beat out some anger or emotion, using a fork at this point proves extremely therapeutic. Once softened, sieve flour and sugar into the bowl  crack in the egg and mix together with your hands, get all that tension out. It should form into a slightly sticky yet firm ball of dough.




Cut 1/3 off the dough away, leave to side. Now place the rest of the dough in the middle of the tin and squish with your hand so it spreads to about ½ way up the sides of the tin. Place in the apples and spread evenly.

Now that remainder of  dough roll into strips and place in a criss-cross pattern over the top of the pie.  

Bake in the oven on 150 -180C  for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, Melt together the Apricot jam and rum (or water) in a small pan on medium heat. 


Once out, leave to cool slightly and release the tin. Spread the glaze over the top of the pie and leave to cool a little more, it will be scorching! 



 Serve warm with ice cream, double/whipped cream and a pot of tea or  ideally, steaming coffee.  Perfect for an Afternoon tea alternative.


You Might Also Like

0 comments