Coffee, Cakes and Catch ups @ Filter & Fox

13:42



These past few weeks for me have been all about reconnecting. After these past few months, I took a step a back and realised how disconnected and Isolated I had become or was becoming, I missed friends birthdays, nights out dates, I just stopped. When I spoke to people or went out, it was few and far between Not in a malicious way, I just didn't try or feel up to it, maybe I needed it, I needed to be selfish for my own sanity.

In all honesty, I didn't even notice how I was acting until one of my friends literally slapped me in the face with this biting truth, 'you hardly talk anymore and you missed their birthday, it was last weekend.' What a friend I was.

image from buritogram.tumblr.com
I have a lot of catching up to do with friends and the fambo, slowly but surely i'm getting round to it, a lot of it is me either sending a fb message or a snapchat and a tweet, a lot of my friends have moved from Liverpool far and wide, so i'm making a concerted effort to be a lot more sociable on social media instead of posting cat and dog videos or silly mash ups like I usually do (i'm surprised I still have people on there.)

I took my first steps last week, over coffee and cake and personally, I believe there's really no better way to have a long awaited catch up. It was glorious.

I met up with one of my school friends, Em, and we had a very lazy day,  starting in Leaf (this place deserves it's own post and pictures) gabbing over soup and fancy cuppa's we meandered through Bold st and Duke st, weaving in and out of little bric a brac shops and Bazaars, always on the hunt for some retail therapy bargains.  



Bowie Bargain, what a glorious moment 
After some snooping, our belly's rumbled and we were in need for tea break again, this time with cake, we searched far and wide for the perfect place with the perfect cake and oh did we find it. 

Tucked in a corner at the bottom of duke st, is a tiny little place called Filter & Fox, blink and you'd miss it. Encased in dark wooden flooring and tiled walls and large windows, it's the right amount of cosy, omitting all the dread of claustrophobia striking. 


We walked in and right there on the counter was our calling, 'jammy dodger red velvet cake.' I've never seen a cake look so good. The waitress behind the counter was extremely helpful and friendly, which was a bonus and helped us pick what we'd like to drink. I opted for the spiced hot chocolate, which was exactly what we needed on the cold day, like the kind you imagine you'd get if you were whisked away to a 5 star hotel/log cabin wrapped in a warm blanket. My obsession with recreating this at home is real.  



Em ordered a good classic Latte and each came with a glass of water, I didn't want to ask why, (bit of a coffee etiquette novice) so i'm still not sure, can anyone let me know?  I opted for the Red Velvet, obviously, and Em the Chocolate Orange Cake. 



Taking to our  seats we were like children in a sweet shop, I can tell you now, they do the best red velvet cake I have ever eaten or will ever eat again.  It is the red velvet cake to conquer all red velvets, I laugh at your cupcakes and your brick cakes. 



This one crumbled but didn't fall apart. It was rich at the same time light and fluffy, and the cream cheese icing, finally didn't taste like cream cheese and the jammy dodger on the top was like a cherry on an ice cream.  I could genuinely write a sonnet about it, but i'm not going too. It wouldn't do it justice. 




The chocolate orange cake was a completely different ball game, three layers of sponge, red velvet and chocolate cake all encased in chocolate fudge icing that tasted, exactly like Terry's chocolate oranges. It's a cake of absolute indulgence, not for the faint hearted and for the ultimate choc-a-holics.




Basically, if you want a catch up with old friends, that's not over alcohol, or Facebook, Filter and Fox is the place to go. They also offer more than cake, there's hummus and small plates for you savoury toothed people out there. I think they do the best cake in Liverpool, its so good that if you're nervous or think it could get awkward, there's no chance of that happening as the cake will give you happy feelings for days, if that doesn't make you want to go I don't know what will! 

X








You Might Also Like

0 comments