2016

17:28


So way back in my teens I adored poetry and literature, taking A level's in English, Theatre and Art, I kind of had to be slightly obsessed, really. From Shakespeare to Salinger, from Gonzo to Beat Generation, I was hooked. 


 Unfortunately, it's something that I lost or grew disinterested in the past few years and it's only recently, the past 2 weeks or so, that it's stirred my interest again. I've not written anything in over 4/5 years, until today and this fired out.  





It felt a bit like when you fix a broken circuit and it sparks, or when you had that Physics lesson where you had to join the leads together properly to turn the little light bulb on, once you did it you felt useful, like you solved a puzzle and you get that little bit of energy or confidence surging through you. Sounds silly, but that's how i've felt a lot lately, like the tin man, or `Wall - E. Flickers of myself, here and there. 

It might not be great but I guess it's a start of getting back to myself again, also a bit of personal achievement for me, thought I'd share it here so I don't have to pinch myself into thinking I really wrote something.


2016

And all you people with those beady eyes,
don’t you realize?
As you watch me, you’re drowning in all their lies.
 You say that I’m the one that’s lost to madness.
I climbed back up and fought the sadness.
 It’s you who sits and wallows in the pit, of money and fame,
Oh what’s in a name?
You drink. Eat. Work and sleep. Pay the bills and ask no questions.
Why. Why. Why?
I hear you all cry.
At the atrocities on  TV.
Yet you let it be and turn a blind eye when it’s on your doorstep, with that mentality ‘it's not happening to me.’
That’s what we are as a society.
Communities are down, nowhere to play around.
Me, myself and I. 
No longer borrowing a cup of sugar, checking on each other’s mothers. 
Landlords no longer help you out, the local pub's are weekly knock outs.
I sit and wait with baited breathe, for you to see,to stop, to get off your knees and shout.
It’s wrong, it’s not you and I that’s the enemy. 
It’s those behind that black box, the master of puppets stopping us from being free.
 We chain ourselves, for likes and shares, we put all our cares on one little screen. 
The bombs drop, our people die, the world is dying, no river runs clean.
I ask you now, sat in the pub, no NHS, no education for all, 
the rich get richer and the pooer get poorer.
 It’s 2016 not 1915.
Resenting one another, we’re sisters and brothers, the earth is the mother.
 Ruled by currency a hunger and greed, 
where hate is the only thing that can breed.
All you people with those beady eyes,

Don’t you realise?

X

You Might Also Like

0 comments